From the moment you discover that you’re pregnant until you deliver, your number-one priority is maintaining the good health of yourself and your baby. You may be wondering how exactly is the best way to go about achieving optimum health and providing all of the nutrients your baby needs.
Let’s talk about some of the key factors involved in ensuring a healthy pregnancy, and where you can go in Syracuse for outstanding pregnancy care by an experienced and caring OB/GYN (obstetrician/gynecologist).
Tips from an OB/GYN for a Healthy Pregnancy
Here are some simple but important tips from an OB/GYN on how to have a healthy pregnancy:
- Find a qualified OB/GYN who will care for you throughout your pregnancy, as well as during labor and delivery. An OB/GYN is a medical doctor who specializes in providing medical and surgical care for women, particularly in regards to their reproductive health. Since you’ll be seeing your OB/GYN often throughout your pregnancy, it is important that you find one who makes you feel comfortable and confident.
- Schedule your first prenatal appointment once you know you’re pregnant. When making the appointment, the OB/GYN staff will likely schedule it for when you are about eight weeks’ pregnant. However, if you have a pre-existing health condition or unusual symptoms, such as abdominal pain or vaginal bleeding, you should see your OB/GYN sooner. After your first visit, it will be important to keep regular appointments with your OB/GYN throughout your pregnancy.
- Expect to undergo ultrasound testing during your pregnancy. Ultrasound uses sound waves (and no radiation whatsoever) to create an image of your baby in the uterus. This scan helps to verify how many babies you’re carrying and whether they are developing normally. Your OB/GYN will tell you when you should have your first ultrasound, as well as when your future ultrasounds should be.
- Get all the prenatal screening tests your OB/GYN recommends. These tests are mostly conducted during the first and second trimesters to determine whether your baby might have a birth defect. As necessary, these may include a blood test, ultrasound, fetal MRI, amniocentesis, and chorionic villus sampling.
- Maintain a healthy lifestyle. Be sure you’re eating a healthy diet, drinking seven to 10 glasses of water per day, getting plenty of rest, and taking a prenatal vitamin with folic acid. Ask your OB/GYN about any special pregnancy-friendly exercises you should perform at home, and how often to do them.
- Avoid certain foods, habits, and activities during your pregnancy. Steer clear of tobacco, alcohol, spicy foods, excessive amounts of caffeine, and recreational drugs, and don’t overexert yourself. Also, do not take any medications, including over-the-counter medicine and supplements, unless they meet your OB/GYN’s approval. Check with your OB/GYN about any other things you should avoid.
Gynecology and Obstetrics in Syracuse, New York
At University OB/GYN Associates in Syracuse, New York, we not only provide outstanding gynecological care but also comprehensive obstetrics services for achieving a healthy pregnancy. We have delivered thousands of healthy babies in Syracuse, and we specialize in both low-risk and high-risk prenatal care. Our highly trained and dedicated doctors are here to help keep you and your baby safe, from your first prenatal visit to delivery and beyond.
To make an appointment at one of our multiple locations in the Syracuse area, call us today at (315) 464-5162. We look forward to seeing you and providing you with the best obstetric care available.