Whether you just found out that you’re pregnant or simply want to be proactive about your health, working with a competent and caring OB/GYN can make all the difference in your overall experience.
Just like choosing any other medical provider, you should consider more than just whether a particular OB/GYN is covered by your insurance plan. Their credentials, experience, after-hours availability, and access to a hospital are just as – if not more – important.
Finding Dr. Right entails asking for referral from your primary care physician and word-of-mouth recommendations from your friends, family, and/or coworkers. Checking out social media sources and online reviews can be just as helpful in providing insights into a doctor’s bedside manner, values, and communication style. Once you’ve gathered your prospects, it’s time to narrow down your list. Here’s some information to guide you through the process.
Questions to Ask Yourself When Deciding for a New OB/GYN
There are questions you specifically ask yourself to help ascertain that the doctor is the right match for you. Consider these:
- Is their practice conveniently located, or does it require time-consuming travel?
- Does the doctor offer evening or weekend hours? This could be beneficial if seeing them during regular hours is difficult for you.
- Which hospital/s is the doctor affiliated? This may be especially important if you are pregnant and planning to have your baby delivered at a particular facility.
- Is the doctor board-certified? This gives you the assurance that the doctor you’re working with is knowledgeable, qualified, and reliable.
- Does the clinic have a pleasant environment? Also, how responsive, and service-oriented is the front and back-office staff when interacting with you in terms of scheduling appointments, answering any billing questions, or refilling your prescriptions?
- Your impression of the practice as a whole is also invaluable, and the only way to ascertain this is to schedule a visit with the OB/GYN.
- All things considered, do you see yourself pursuing a long-term relationship with the doctor?
Assess whether the doctor is someone in whom you can confide your personal information. When talking about your body, your reproductive health, and your sex life, you want an OB/GYN who truly listens to your concerns and answers any of your questions in a way you can understand.
It’s also important that you and your new OB/GYN share similar views and values on a range of issues including pain management, natural alternatives, access to birth control, and birthing methods, just to name a few.
Trusted OB/GYN in Syracuse, New York
At University OB/GYN Associates, our board-certified OB/GYNs pride themselves not only on their clinical expertise but also on their unwavering dedication to providing the highest quality of care. Working with any one of our providers means you are under the care of a highly credentialed, compassionate medical professional who is genuinely invested in your optimal health and well-being.
To learn more about our services or to arrange an appointment with one of our OB/GYNs, please call (315) 464-5162. We have multiple locations throughout Syracuse, New York, depending on your specific medical needs.