Women’s medical needs change from one stage of their lives to the next. That’s why it’s so important for every woman to take the initiative when it comes to her health, and partner with a trusted OB/GYN.
Going to a general practitioner is beneficial for your overall health, and this doctor keeps track of all of your specialists’ records – including specialty doctors such as ophthalmologists, gastroenterologists, and gynecologists. Women need to have a gynecologist who will perform regular cancer screenings in order to stay healthy, and this is where an OB/GYN comes in.
Let’s talk about how women’s health doctors can help keep you healthy, and where you can go in Syracuse to see a trusted and respected gynecologist.
What Is an OB/GYN?
The abbreviation “OB/GYN” comes from two words: obstetrician (OB) and gynecologist (GYN). While the former deals with prenatal, pregnancy, and postpartum care, the latter focuses more on the health of women in regard to the reproductive and urinary systems.
An OB/GYN specializes in both, and thus uses a more comprehensive approach to women’s health. They handle all issues related to pregnancy, childbirth, female reproductive health, cancer checks, and more.
How Can Women’s Health Doctors Keep You Healthy?
While it might seem like a hassle to visit your doctor when you feel perfectly fine, there are several ways in which an annual visit to the OB/GYN can help keep you healthy:
- Early cancer detection – Regular visits to your OB/GYN can help detect cancer at its early stages, especially gynecological cancers. This women’s health doctor will perform regular Pap smears to check for cervical cancer, manual breast checks to detect any lumps, and order a mammogram when necessary.
- Addressing hormonal issues – Before chalking up those hot flashes to perimenopause, it’s best to rule out other reasons for hormonal issues since they’re integral to your fertility and energy levels.
- Prenatal and postpartum care – If you are currently or are planning to get pregnant, your OB/GYN can guide you throughout the entire pregnancy.
- Managing reproductive health – Women’s health doctors can educate you on reproductive health and treat reproductive issues, such as endometriosis and uterine polyps.
- Addressing women’s health issues – There’s a wide array of women’s health issues that an OB/GYN can help with, such as:
- Pelvic floor disorders
- Menstrual problems
- Birth control
- Painful intercourse
- Vaginal infections
- Urinary incontinence
- Breast health
- Sexual health counseling
- Sexually transmitted diseases (STDs)
- Low libido
- Family planning
- Maternal healthcare
- Gynecological cancers
- Menopause issues
- Surgical procedures (e.g., hysterectomy)
Women’s Health Doctor in Syracuse, New York
Women have special healthcare needs that change as they age. Partnering with a women’s health doctor can help ensure optimal wellness. From routine exams to surgical procedures, University OB/GYN Associates can take care of women’s unique healthcare needs at every stage. Our caring and skilled providers will ensure that you’re taking the most proactive measures for your well-being.