As a woman, there are many reasons why you might need gynecological and/or obstetrical care throughout your life. As a young female, you might have sexual health questions, painful periods, or contraceptive needs. As an adult, you will require regular breast cancer screenings and Pap smears. As a mother-to-be, you likely want the best prenatal care. And during menopause and beyond, you’ll still need to monitor your sexual and reproductive health.
Whatever the reason may be why you need to visit an obstetrician-gynecologist (OB/GYN), choosing the right doctor is important for both your health and peace of mind. Here are several factors that you should take into consideration:
- The kind of care provider that is right for YOU. You may have specific wellness needs. For example, if you are pregnant – or hoping to become pregnant – you may want to have a midwife, perinatologist, or doula that works closely with an OB/GYN. In that case, you need to decide the kind of birth plan you prefer and schedule an appointment with a clinic that offers these professionals.
If pregnancy is not in your plans, you will still need to decide whether you prefer a male or female OB/GYN. Also,their subspecialties, which may include reproductive endocrinology and infertility, female pelvic medicine and reproductive surgery, gynecologic oncology, menopausal and geriatric gynecology, or pediatric and adolescent gynecology, may be an important factor in your decision.
- Referrals from friends, relatives, or other physicians. Whereasyour primary care physician can probably recommend an appropriate OB/GYN, a friend or loved one can often provide information about a particular provider through personal experience. Just keep in mind that each woman has her own opinion about what to look for in an OB/GYN.
- The provider’s qualifications and credentials. You should always do some research online about different care providers in your area. Focus on their education, certification, and specialties, as well as how many years of experience they have.
- The extent of the services they offer. A first-rate OB/GYN – or their practice – should provide an extensive range of obstetrics and gynecology services besides pregnancy testing, prenatal care, labor and delivery, and well-woman visits. Other services should include preventive health screenings, family planning, contraceptive counseling, menopause management, and gynecologic oncology, among others.
- Their online reviews.These can provide insight into how the doctor practices medicine and how efficiently their practice is operated. Note how well patients trust the doctor, how much time they devote to their patients, as well as how office staff handle appointment scheduling and accommodating patients’ needs.
- The OB/GYN’s communication style. During your first meeting with a potential OB/GYN, consider their personality and how well they communicate with you. They should be warm and friendly andmake an effort to put you at ease. Also, they should be informative and responsive to your health-related questions, respectful of your lifestyle choices, and cognizant of the level of care you prefer and are most comfortable with.
- The practice’s policies and hospital affiliations. Take note of the practice’s after-hours availability and access to other women’s health specialists. Also, make sure that the hospital the OB/GYN works with is also conveniently located, meets your personal standards, and, along with your provider, is in your insurance network.
Upstate OB/GYN Doctors in Syracuse, New York
The highly skilled and caring medical professionals at University OB/GYN Associates provide comprehensive obstetrics and gynecology services as part of their commitment to help women of all ages maintain their reproductive and sexual healthcare. Ourwomen’s health services include but are not limited to:
- Annual well women visits
- Breast exams and mammograms
- Menopause management
- Infertility evaluation
- Health screenings
- Contraceptive counseling and family planning
- Pap smears
- HPV screening and vaccine
For more information about our advanced OB/GYN care services, call University OB/GYN Associates today at (315) 464-5162 to schedule an appointment.